I am writing this post while still in China relaxing in my hotel after two days of sightseeing in Beijing. Unfortunately, China blocks many US sites including Blogger, so I have to get to it in a very slow and round-about way through a virtual machine running in US. I did not figure out how to upload pictures to that virtual machine, so they would have to come later when I come back home.
Despite this inconvenience, I had a great week in China and will write a separate post about it. In the meantime, a few highlights:
- I enjoyed meeting my Chinese colleagues face-to-face - they were a bit formal and reserved first but relaxed by the end of the week.
- I had so much great food - I will have to go on a diet once I come back home :)
- I have visited the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and a few other landmarks.
- I successfully navigated Beijing subway entirely on my own.
- Smarty and her father managed well without me - they were always cheerful during my "check-ins". I really hope that the flight tomorrow is on time, and I will still catch some of Mother's Day with my daughter.
- I had enough time to finish Blackout by Connie Willis, since Smarty begged me to read it. Unfortunately, it's a 2-parter that ends on a cliffhanger, but I should make some progress on the second book when I fly home tomorrow.
How was your week?