Disclosure: I am an Amazon associate, and this post contains Amazon affiliate links. For full disclosure, please click here, and thank you for supporting my blog!
Several years ago I was lucky to lay my hands on How the Russian Snow Maiden Helped Santa Claus by Gail Buyske, and it was in our Christmas reading repertoire ever since. It’s a sweet story that connects Russian gift bringer Ded Moroz and Western Santa Claus. Since Christmas in Orthodox Russia doesn’t happen until January 7, Ded Moroz sends his granddaughter Snow Maiden to help Santa. Not surprisingly, a lot of children are getting a very special present that Christmas – a Russian nesting doll also known as matryoshka. A couple of years ago this book inspired us to paint a set of Matryoshka dolls, but we gave that set to my parents as a Christmas present. This year I wanted to make a matryoshka Christmas ornament to put on our tree.
Make Your Matryoshka Ornament
- For our previous project involving nesting dolls we used these unpainted Russian nesting dolls that had a pre-printed pattern on them. They could make a good ornament too. This time, however, I opted for a smaller keychain-size blank matryoshkas.
- Real matryoshka for inspiration
- Sharpie permanent markers
More DIY Ornaments?From my blog:
DIY Ornaments Pinterest Board
10 DAYS OF A KID-MADE CHRISTMASAre you still searching for the perfect kid-made Christmas craft or activity for your kids, grandkids, scout group, or classroom? Visit the 10 Days of a Kid-Made Christmas series hosted by Mama Miss! All of the ornaments in the series are inspired by children’s books and there will be 70+ ornaments by the end of the ten days.
You can also follow along by searching the hashtag #KidMadeChristmas on Twitter and Instagram!
Check out other contributors of Day 8 of Kid Made Christmas:
- Felt Santa Mouse Ornament | Kitchen Counter Chronicles
- Christmas Craft Pink Pinecone Ornaments | Cutting Tiny Bites
- Star Photo Frame Ornament | Messy Little Monster
- Little Bins for Little Hands
- Sparkly Craft Stick Christmas Tree Ornament | Living Montessori Now
- Play dough and Paper Plate Wreath | Creative World of Varya
- Coco and the Little Black Dress | Flash Bugs Studio
- Paper Bead Angel Christmas Ornament | My Bright Firefly