Art for “Non-Artsy” Kids
There are kids who love to do art. Smarty is not one of them, at least not at home where she’d very much rather read or play games. Over years I learned through experimentation that she is more interested in crafts which have practical purpose and are 3-dimensional. So when we needed to make Valentines for 25 kids in her kindergarten class I decided to combine science and art and make Valentines with shaving cream paint.
What Do You Need
- One can of cheap shaving cream.
- A few squirts of paint. We used acrylic paint – red for girls and yellow/blue combination for boys with an additional wow factor of mixing it into green.
- Paper – we used both regularly shaped thick posterboard and thick paper heart cutouts
- Optional: a grip to hold paper in paint (good workout for those emerging fine motor skills!)
- Optional: A scraper to scrape shaving paint off paper and spread paint more easily
- A place to dry your mass-produced Valentines
- A lot of patience and encouragement as your child digs into this project.