- The weather was awesome and we did not get rained on during our shore trips.
- The ship Norwegian Getaway was giant (4,500 guests!), but we could get to all the entertainment and shore excursions that we wanted to get.
- The sea was relatively calm. Smarty still wanted Dramamine for sea sickness, but we never really felt seasick, even on a long ferry ride in Mexico from Cozumel to mainland and back.
- Smarty made a new friend - a very talkative and friendly boy from Michigan.
- We all got to taste fresh cocoa seeds in Belize- a very new and unexpected experience.
- We went kayaking and snorkeling in Honduras, and Smarty could keep up with adults just fine.
- We could go out in the evening on the ship, and Smarty was able to put herself to sleep all on her own - this is something new for her.
- We saw sea turtles and eels while snorkeling.
- We visited Chichen Itza on our last shore excursion in Cozumel. Granted, it was 7 hours of transit, and one hour on site, but our guide was good, and it was amazing to see this famous landmark with our own eyes.
- Smarty really enjoyed water slides and rope course on the ship. She was so-so on children program and was disappointed that she could not get into a teen program that had a strict cutoff at 13. Next time she won't have that problem anymore :)
Looking back at all the pictures we took made me appreciate one more time how lucky we are to be able to afford a trip like this and offer this experience to Smarty at such a young age. The good news is that seeing the world first hand gives her more appreciation of its diversity and its fragility than many hours in the classroom. I hope we will be able to travel more as a family and share the wonders of the world with her before she strikes out on her own.
Did your kids have a spring break? What did you do?