Fostering Love of Poetry at HomeDo your kids say that poetry is boring? Mine did at some point, but we did this intervention and now she is reading poetry again:
Teach your kids to write simple sensory poems! Smarty just wrote a new one for us to celebrate family.
I hear lullabies and "I love yous" before bed
I feel soft loving cuddles and caresses all day.
I see soft green rooms and familiar surroundings at home.
I smell cookies baking and hair wash (when I take a bath)
I taste my favorite cereal.
That's my family to me.
Let them be silly creating limericks!
Expand their knowledge of poetry styles by reading different poetry books:
More Ideas to Introduce Poetry to Kids?
- Take part in Poetry Writing Challenge for kids on What Do We Do All Day
- Start a poetry journal – idea from Buggy and Buddy
- Check out my post on 10 more ways to foster love of poetry.
Follow my Writing Pinterest board
2015 After School Link Up Hosts
- The Educators' Spin On It
- Planet Smarty Pants
- Boy Mama Teacher Mama
- Mama Smiles
- Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
- The Measured Mom
- This Reading Mama