As my regular readers know, my newly 8 year old has a strong aptitude for math. I shared some books that we are using at home in the post Beyond Common Core Math, but we also do a lot of hands-on math activities that involve cooking, measurement or building. Using this map as a guide, we scaled our backyard into a map of USA to see if we can fly our paper planes from San Francisco to New York without connections. I am going to share the detailed post on Bedtime Math blog, but it was very satisfying to see my daughter to be able to do on her own all the math and measurement needed to make this activity happen.
6 Hands On Math Ideas for Older KidsI am always on lookout for more math ideas for older kids and love to see them shared in After School link up or on my Facebook page. Here are some recent terrific ideas that I collected:
1. Pythagorean TheoremEmpowering Parents to Teach shared a great book and a visual activity to explain Pythagorean theorem to kids. I remember being fascinated by the proof when I was about 10. Looking forward to introducing this to Smarty soon!
2. Multiplication Games for KidsLearn multiplication with games – some bought and some homemade, at The Imagination Soup
3. Visualize Multiplication with Legos…Because multiplication and any other learning is more fun with Legos, especially at Frugal Fun for Boys.
4. Practice Equivalent FractionsLearn equivalent fractions and improve fine motor skills at once with this clever equivalent fractions pegboard from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational.
5. Fractions Card GamePractice simplifying fractions with this fast-paced fractions card game from What Do We Do All Day.
6. Explore Frozen FractalsFrozen movie certainly made fractals popular even with people who are indifferent to math. Crafty Moms Share offers a great hands-on way to explore fractals with some great links.
- 100 Ways to Have Fun With Math at Home
- Hands-On Logical Problems for Kids
- 6 Ways to Have Fun with Abacus
- Spring Math Ideas
- Tangrams for Beginners
Follow Natalie Planet Smarty Pants's board Math on Pinterest.
Your TurnDo you enjoy helping your kids with math or are you dreading it?
2014 After School Link Up Hosts
- The Educators' Spin On It
- Planet Smarty Pants
- Boy Mama Teacher Mama
- Mama Smiles
- Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
- The Measured Mom
- This Reading Mama