Geography on Planet Smarty Pants
Since our daughter is the first generation American, we make a point to introduce her to our countries of origin and other countries around the world. When she was younger, we intentionally selected books that would introduce her to specific cultures and countries. You can check out my Hands On Geography series on this blog – I keep adding posts to it as I refresh them over time. Now we start to discuss world events with her and we subscribed her to Top Secret Adventures from The Highlights magazine where she gets to learn more about a specific country while solving puzzles set in this country. She is also lucky to be able to travel abroad – this February she went to Germany with her father, and we all went to Mexico on a spring break. We hope to continue to explore countries and cultures through books, movies, cultural experiences and food this school year.
Exploring the World With After SchoolThere were several great geography and foreign language resources shared in After School Link Up last week:
1. Kid World Citizen offers a fun geography challenge of virtual mountain climbing through climbing stairs. It has interesting math implications too.
2. Mama Smiles shares how she supports her four kids’ interest in languages with multi-lingual resources (this post also offers a fun Little Pim Giveaway).
3. Why does every home need a map? Check this post from KC Adventures to find out!
4. Also from KC Adventures – a brilliant post Around the World in 30 Books. I can’t wait to read the books featured in this post that we didn’t read yet.
5. And since there can never be enough book lists – another excellent list from My Sweet Homeschool
Want to Explore the World?Follow my Pinterest board Geography
Follow Natalie's board Geography on Pinterest.
2014 After School Link Up Hosts
- The Educators' Spin On It
- Planet Smarty Pants
- Boy Mama Teacher Mama
- Mama Smiles
- Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
- The Measured Mom
- This Reading Mama