Science After School
I admit that science is one thing that we don’t get to do as often as I would like at home. It takes time to set up, experiment, and clean up – and time is a luxury for working parents or for parents that have to worry about younger siblings eating science experiments. However, I try to get Smarty to think like a scientist when we have a rare chance to experiment at home or simply when we discuss things we observe around us in our daily life. I love to see her mind working when she is attempting to solve a scientific problem without being given steps to success like in our experiment on separating two materials.
Featured Science Posts From The Last Week
Today I am sharing my favorite science posts linked last week and also encouraging my readers to check out new Science Sunday link up that migrated from Adventures in Mommydom (she now hosts a history and geography link up) to All Things Beautiful.
1. Waddlee-ah-chaa shared an interesting idea on how to make a homemade snow out of baking soda and shaving cream – I can see this in our future as we don’t get any real snow here.
2. More “fake snow” – this time as a glittery white play dough with detailed instructions from one of my co-hosts Coffee Cups and Crayons
3. Moving on to “real snow” now – KC Edventures got her children outside to explore animal tracks in winter. She also shares books and resources on how to identify animal footprints.
4. Play Dr Mom did what my daughter still dreams of doing – she and her children were exploring snowflakes by catching them on dark paper and photographing them. She shares a few books about snowflakes – we love Snowflake Bentley!
5. When you are tired of snow, go inside and whip up some DIY paint for Valentine’s Day projects. Frogs, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails gives detailed instructions for this homemade glitter puffy paint - this is another project that I see us doing here.
2014 After School Link Up Hosts
Share Your After School WeekWhen linking up, please take a moment to comment on at least one post linked up before yours and grab our after school button to include a link on your post or site! By linking up you're giving permission for us to share on our After School Pinterest Board or feature on our After School Party in the upcoming weeks! As a heads up, my next week feature will be about Chinese New Year.
Don't forget to follow along and join our After School Enrichment Community.