School. We had a good back to school night on Wednesday. Smarty’s second grade teacher is both experienced and enthusiastic. Smarty loves her and wants to please her, but she keeps asking when she is going to get work “on her level”. It’s a tricky question, since her level is not exactly second grade. Hopefully our meeting with her teacher next week will help answer these questions.
Afterschool. By Thursday night daughter was exhausted from her school week and all extra-curricular activities. She was telling me that all she wants to do this weekend is read – she is completely engrossed in Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. She was in a more cheery mood on Friday when I picked her up earlier than usual from her “official” afterschool program and gave her two hours of uninterrupted reading time. Then we made a New Zealand lamb dish – post on that is coming soon.
Places we are going. Last Sunday we went sailing with our good friends. We even got to see America’s Cup race between Team USA and Team New Zealand. The weather was beautiful most of the time, but we hit a rough patch on the way back with fog, wind and high waves, and both children on board were terrified. Smarty was screaming, “We are about to die!”, which was not helping to calm down a crying 2 year old of our friends. Of course, all ended well, but Smarty cracked me up saying, “Now I know what you are going through on your cruises. Thanks, I’d rather stay with Babushka!”
Highlights of the week:
- 1 – America’s Cup race (we couldn’t really see much of it, SF Bay was overcrowded with sailing boats, and it was foggy).
- 2 – There is never a week without board games in our house. This week we played Quirkle and Scrambled States (affiliate links).
- 3 – This picture was taken before “We are about to die!” episode. Hopefully we will get Smarty back to the boat soon, but right now she is not interested in going back.
- 4 – I always love seeing Smarty interact with a younger child of our close friends. It makes me sad sometimes that she won’t get a chance to be a big sister.
- 5 – We went under a recently opened span of Bay Bridge in San Francisco. Looks good!
- 6 – Cooking school with Mama – Lamb Chops “Down Under” and Crunchy Potato Wedges
Your turn: What were highlights of your week?