School… It’s been only two weeks of school, but we are all ready for a long weekend! Smarty and her Papa find it hard to get up at 6:40 am every morning. The homework has been pretty light so far, and she brings a new paperback from school to read every single day. Her new teacher uses a lot of class management tricks, and Smarty enjoys getting tangible rewards from “a treasure chest” for her good behavior and “hard work”. Smarty says that she loves second grade but hoping to ace her math benchmark test and get more challenging math work.
Afterschool. Smarty reads and writes in the funniest positions. I remember a lot of fights in my own childhood about proper ways of reading and writing, but I read that it really doesn’t matter as long as a child enjoys the activity. This week we read a lot of books about Australia, and Smarty completed her Top Secret Australia kit. We also played board games and tried a great Dino Chess game that was given to me to review. This review will go up next week at iGameMom site.
Places we are going. Ringling Brothers circus visits San Jose every year. We went first when Smarty was 4, and she loved every minute of it. She couldn’t wait to go again and reported later that the show was “truly amazing”. I agree with her – I grew up watching many circus performances, and this one was truly spectacular. I feel very privileged to be able to take her to see this show.
Highlights of the week:
- 1 – An ice cream social in Smarty’s afterschool Y program. She goes there 3 times a week.
- 2 – Circus, one of our August goals and highlights.
- 3 – Helping in the kitchen and preparing Yellow Lentils Soup for our virtual trip to Egypt.
- 4 – More helping in the kitchen. Smarty loves to bake, especially when this involves chocolate or cocoa.
- 5 – Game time. This week Smarty couldn’t get enough of Launch Pad (Amazon affiliate link, currently on sale).
- 6 – Smarty enjoyed teaching son of our friends how to build with WEDGiTS.
Your turn to share: What were highlights of your week?