I was tagged earlier this week by Leah at Almost Unschoolers for “get to know each other” game.
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random facts about you.
3. Answer the questions given to you in the tagger’s post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag new people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and let them know they have been tagged.
- 1. This is my work mug shot. I work in a big well-known company. We’ve been in the news a lot lately… and not just because of the products we make and sell.
- 2. I don’t like wearing business suits and mostly wear jeans and sweaters/T-shirts to work unless I have to meet customers.
- 3. I hate shopping for clothes.
- 4. My favorite place to shop is Amazon, and I have weakness for Michael’s and other craft stores.
- 5. I am not at all crafty but want to pretend that one day I might be.
- 6. I wanted to be a chemist. Marie Curie was my role model when I was a teenager. I wanted to get two Nobel prizes too.
- 7. I find it very hard to focus. Maybe it’s because my work hours are full of unrelated meetings, emails and phone calls.
- 8. I love Harry Potter and admired J.K. Rowling Harvard Commencement Speech.
- 9. Regardless, the thought of failure still frightens me.
- 10. I never thought I will marry a German. It’s one of the best things that ever happened to me.
- 11. I love travel and I hope to be traveling again with my family soon.
On to Leah’s questions:
1. What was your favorite subject in school, and why? Chemistry – see above.
2. What sort of school did you attend for your K-12 years? Public, private, home based? Public. By the way, private school or homeschooling didn’t exist in the former Soviet Union.
3. Do you have a college degree (maybe a masters or doctorate)? If so, in what? Bachelor in System Engineering with enough math classes to qualify for M.S. in Math here.
4. What do you think our educational goal as a country (or your educational goal as a country, if you're not in the US) should be? Interesting question. I don’t believe in No Child Left Behind for many reasons. I rather like track based educational systems where children don’t have to study things they are not interested in.
5. What US landmark would you like to visit, that you haven't already seen. US has landmarks? Just kidding, of course. I really want to go to Yellowstone!
6. What is your favorite summer family activity. Barbecue dinners with friends.
7. Read the Scribbit post about blogging, linked in the answers above. What phase of blogging are you in currently. Interesting post. Adulthood, I dare say.
8. Can you tolerate other people's children as well as your own? Don't worry, I'm not planning on dropping mine off at your door. I'm just curious. No, and sometimes I cannot even tolerate mine.
9. Do you set limits on "screen time" in your house? And why, or why not? Yes, and the answer deserves a separate post. I actually wrote one 2 years ago, and the practice is still pretty much the same in the house.
10. Do you have a family pet? If yes, what kind(s)? Lobbying my husband for a cat
11. Do you use math, beyond the basics of what you learned in grades five or six, in daily life? And if yes, in what way? (I'd really like to hear in from anyone reading this post, on this one). Nothing over grade 8 and functions available in Microsoft Excel even though I went “all the way” in math. I still have no regrets about learning so much math, because I believe it gives me thinking skills and guides subliminally my decision making. I do catch myself assessing probability often and I am able to “catch” wrong assumptions quickly.
- 1. Why do you blog?
- 2. How often do you feel guilty feeling that you could be doing more with your children?
- 3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
- 4. How many siblings do you have and did it affect your decisions on the number of children you wanted to have?
- 5. How did you choose your career?
- 6. If you could change one choice you made, what would that be?
- 7. Name three skills you would want your children to have
- 8. If you got $1000 to spend right now, what would you buy?
- 9. I think all three of my picks are stay-at-home moms. Do you consider going back to work? If so, why?
- 10. Do you have a favorite pick-me-up song? What is it?
- 11. Do you blog on schedule or when inspiration strikes?