As I mentioned last week, CSN stores offered me to pick something in their stores to promote their amazing collection of web stores. I picked Shapes Up game, because it looked educational and fun at the same time. Anna really enjoyed her new game. She loves board games, and this game is, of course, a lot fancier than Chutes and Ladders or Memory.
- Pros: High quality and bright colors.
- Each player has its own board, so young players don’t have to worry too much about strategy used by older players.
- Rules can be modified for young players.
- Teaches geometric concepts of area measurements and shape combinations very naturally. It didn’t take Anna long to figure out what shapes are “better”, how to place them on the board and how different shapes combine to make squares and diamonds.
- Cons: The game is rather long – it takes about 20 minutes to complete. One time we didn’t complete the full game, because Anna “got the wiggles”. At least you don’t get to have your hopes for the end dashed like it happens in Chutes and Ladders.
- Basic supervision is required if your child tends to transform at times to an alien from Planet Destructo (and even my little angel does from time to time). The pieces do have rather sharp corners which might make them dangerous if used to settle disputes between players.
- Recommended age on the box says (7+, 2nd grade). I was disappointed that CSN Stores had the recommended age as 3+. I am not sure, however, why the recommended age is so high – we are having lots of fun with this game by modifying the rules somewhat (all color placements are valid for Anna).
I am not getting compensated for this review. It’s my own honest opinion of the Learning Resources product and the service of CSN stores.