I have several confessions to make:
- This is the first ever picture of my daughter in the skirt. She spent her first 30+ months in pants.
- She doesn’t play with dolls. She does have one or two, but she is utterly indifferent to them. Her most favorite toy is right here with her in this picture.
- She doesn’t have any princess dress-up costumes, and she doesn’t seem to be particularly interested in Disney princesses when she sees them prominently displayed in every bookstore we go.
- She never had any make-up – real or pretend. I hardly use any myself.
- She doesn’t like to be called “Princess”. She always corrects and says, I am not a princess! I am mama’s daughter and papa’s Mouse!
- I really-really want to keep things this way. I have nothing against fairy tales, but I rather envision my daughter as Hermione, not Sleeping Beauty. But I am not going to deny her a princess phase if and when she wants to have one. I just want it to be her choice, not the one that is “suggested” by Disney marketing folks. Let’s see how long it lasts. She did watch Cinderella a week ago and informed me that evening that she doesn’t want to be a pilot any longer when she grows up – she wants to be a queen. Notice that she decided wisely to go for a top title :)